Sunday, June 5, 2011

Marvel Dammit!

I went to Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois with Andrea yesterday. Shawnee is a bad ass place with some great views and fun spots to do a little rock climbing. The forest sort of pops out of nowhere as you drive to it. Once you are exploring you'll find all this hidden depth because of the bizarre geological formations there.

We were walking on massive boulders that looked out over part of the forest and eventually we were walking in down in the forest we were looking down at.

It was great.

Later in the day we came upon this steep, stone staircase that led into this little pathway between these huge slabs of rock.  It was eerie and creepy down there, but incredibly cool.  I was just waiting for a snake or baseball-size spider to appear at any moment.

I had a blast out there.  At some points the trails were reminiscent of Rocky Mountain National Park.  It made me happy to get some hiking in since I rarely get to when I'm not out west.


"Sympathy" - The Goo Goo Dolls

No comments: